Start off 2022 with these savoury, warm home-made muffins with caramelised onion 🧅, sage and spring peas which are perfect for breakfast or a mid-day snack.
If you love to bake, you ought to give this recipe a try. It’s okay to indulge in more than 1 muffin! Bon appetite 😋
- 3tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- generous handful of fresh sage washed & roughly chopped
- 3medium-sized brown onions peeled, halved and sliced
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 2tbsp filtered water
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2cups (300g) organic plain flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 1tsp sea salt
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½cups (375ml) soy milk
- ½cup 125ml organic canola oil
- 1cup 150g defrosted frozen peas
- ½cup 50g organic grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1handful of pumpkin seeds
- Coat a medium-sized frying pan with the olive oil and bring the stove to high heat. Add the chopped sage to the pan and cook for 1 minute until the sage is crispy. Remove the sage from the pan leaving any remaining olive oil. Return the frying pan to the stove and reduce the heat to a medium.
- Add the sliced onions and allow to cook uncovered for 5 minutes and the onions are golden brown. Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and water. Cook covered for 15 – 20 mins until the liquid has reduced and the onions are well caramelised. Remove from the heat and put aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix through the dry ingredients: The bicarbonate of soda, the organic plain flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl mix through the wet ingredients: the apple cider vinegar, the soy milk and canola oil. Stir the wet ingredients through the dry ingredients until well combined.
- In the batter, stir through the defrosted green peas, crispy sage, caramelised onions and grated cheddar cheese (optional). Divide the muffin batter evenly across the muffin tray cups and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until a skewer can be inserted into the centre of a muffin, and be removed without any residue.
- Remove the muffin tray from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring the muffins to a cooling rack.